Everything Social Networking
You’ll find all kinds of stuff posted at my blog, so keep checking back. You’ll find a lot of information related to social networking, Facebook, Twitter, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), just cool internet tools and technologies.
Name: Steve Hart
Job: Interactive Development Director for a large media communications company.
Interest: Everything Social Networks, SEO, Blogs, and Media Publishing.
XML Sitemaps – usually called Sitemaps, with a capital S – are a way for you to give Google information about your site. In its simplest terms, a Sitemap is a list of the pages on your website. Creating and submitting a Sitemap helps make sure that Google knows about all the pages on your site, including URLs that may not be discoverable by Google’s normal crawling process.
Here’s an overview of how to Verify your site and submit your WordPress Sitemap to Google.
Step 1 – Google Site Verification:
- Go to Google Sitemaps and login.
- Enter your website into your dashboard- click add site.
- Now, Google needs to verify your site.
- You’ll need to choose a verification method – use “Upload an HTML file”.
- Copy the entire random string Google generated. Don’t close this browser tab.
- Now, go to WordPress and log into your blog.
- Create a new page anywhere on your site. I created a child page to my “About” page.
- In this new page title, paste the code that Google generated (the one you copied) and publish your page.
- Now go back to the Google Sitemap page, and click “Verify”.
- Once Google has verified your site, your can now delete the WordPress page you created.
Step 2 – Submit your WordPress Sitemap to Google
- Go to Google Sitemaps and click on Sitemaps in the left column menu.
- Click Add Sitemap and select General Sitemap.
- Enter “YourBlogName.com/sitemap.xml” into the text box (step 3 – My Sitemap URL is:).
- Click the Add General Sitemap button
- You have successfully added your Sitemap to Google.
- Check back with Google in a few hours to see if Google has indexed your site.
- Steve Hart
What the heck? The best part of this is “Start a village people collection” comment.
It just goes to show you, you can find anything on the web. I once bought a used 1997 Dodge Neon red (matched my son’s car) gas door lid for $8 bucks on eBay. Why would someone think of putting this crap online for someone to buy? It worked out for me…
Google profiles has recently added the feature to “roll your own” URL cap. So instead of Google.com/profiles/12345, you can now use www.google.com/profiles/stevekhart. This is a big step for Google. The catch is you get one shot at choosing your URL cap.
If you’re a Google user, head over to the link below and edit your profile. You can use your Google profile page for search engine purposed (so people can find you) or just another crazy profile page.
- Steve Hart
“IT remains a real safe and interesting and high-paying place to be,” says David Foote, CEO of Foote Partners
Here are the top 10 skills from Networkworld.com
- Business Process Modeling – business process modeling is one of the key skills that business majors should be studying.
- Database – Database expertise is another area where pay is on the rise, up 2.9% in the last quarter.
- Messaging/Communications – experience in unified communications and messaging systems, which was among the highest paying IT skills .
- IT architecture – companies are looking to hire enterprise architects as well as system, network, application, data, information and security architects.
- IT security – Demand for security specialists is likely to remain strong because few teens are entering the field.
- Project management – experience managing complex IT projects and delivering results on time and on or under budget.
- Data mining – understanding data mining and related fields such as information on demand, content management and unstructured information management.
- Web development – there is a need for developers who understand the latest Web trends, especially social media. It was the highest ranked of the technical skills listed by CIOs.
- IT optimization – experience in IT optimization, including virtualization and cloud computing.
- Networking - Network certifications are earning the highest pay premiums.
- Steve Hart
Gigya has developed a free API to their universal “log in” application. Using their Socialize product, you can have your site vistors authenticate users via Facebook, Myspace, or other OpenID providers.
Additionally, their API can pull profile data from these Social Networks sites. This eliminates the need for the site vistor re-entering profile information (name, email, photo…).
Are there other tools you’re familiar with?
- Steve Hart
Copyright © 2008